Six things I’ve learned in my 30’s

Things I've learned in my 30's

Things I've learned in my 30's

I'm a few years into my 30's (and turning a year older on the 28th!) and interestingly enough, with each passing year, I become so much more comfortable with myself and who I've become. Sure, there are days where I miss the wild, carefree nights of being 23, but those are just small factors in the grand scheme of things. For those of  you who aren't quite there and keep hearing "your 30's are the best years of your life!" I fully agreement with that statement.

Here's what I've learned:

Invest In Your Skin:

I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to this, but it's one of the first things that comes to my mind. Before working for myself, I worked at a large company that was predominately made up of women (and gay men) and in those 7 years that I was there, I tucked away so many tips that still resonate with me. For one, the 40-something year old woman I shared an office with for many years, was the quintessential NYC type: successful, always busy and juggling having a small child and being a working mom. With all that, no matter what, she always took time to take care of herself. I remember her saying to me "if I could give you one piece of advice, it's to invest in your skin when you're in your 30s'!" I didn't really know what that meant (I was probably 25-27 at the time), but now, I totally get it!

For me, that means a few things:

Wearing sunblock is always #1, but you've heard that over and over again. Then there's water and nutrition. As I mentioned in one of my monthly favorite things, I try to have a tablespoon of flaxeed oil every single day. There is 0 doubt that when I'm religious about this, I see an enormous difference in my complexion.  Aside from that, using good skincare product! That means always starting out with properly washing my face, acid exfoliation and then layering on the face oils and moisturizers. Those are the great things you can do at home, but if you want to take it to the next level, going to a reputable place and having them do things you're unable to do at home. Whether it's microdermabrasion, a chemical peel, or hey, even if botox is your thing.  I cannot stress the reputable part enough! It's not to say that a place with a Groupon is not good, but do your research. This is not where you want to skimp!

The Power Of No/Only Saying Yes To Things That Bring You Happiness:

I'd like to think I'm a fairly easy-going person and while I consider that to be a good characteristic, in my younger days, I found myself involved in situations that I didn't necessarily want to be in, afraid about disappointing people. Whether it was committing to plans I didn't really want to be involved in or agreeing to a work project that I probably should have turned down. The point is, now I realize that if something doesn't feel right, it's perfectly okay to say no. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but just as an overall mindset.

Nurture Yourself:

If I don't take the time to nurture myself, it will disable me from being the best version of myself. Especially as a new mom, having ME time has never been so important. I'm lucky enough to be married to an amazing man who understands that (and the same goes for him!) so we make sure there's balance in our lives. Yes, it takes a little more work these days, but there's always a way to make it happen.

For me, this means taking out the time to workout or go for a run (a newer hobby), to get a manicure or to have a night, drinking wine with girlfriends.

Attract Good In Your Life:

I'm a firm believer that like attracts like. Be kind to people, be genuniely happy for others, tip your cab driver a few extra dollars, buy somebody special a present for no reason…etc. You guys get the drift. This will make for a much richer life in so many ways. This might sound so cheesy, but the happier and more positive I am, the better my life is. This also means that I try to surround myself with positive people. Sure, everyone is entitled to their bad days, but any toxic relationships, I left along with my 20's.

 Enjoy the Moment:

In a world that is completely glued to their phones, I cannot stress the importance of this. If I don't put my phone away (even for a few minutes), several times a day, I start to feel incredibly overwhelmed. As a new mom, this has never been so important. When Nate was a little over two months, I remember putting him down on his play mat and while he was laying there, playing with the little hanging animals, I was browsing Facebook/Snapchat/Instagram..etc.  Then it hit me like a ton of bricks! What the hell am I doing? In that moment, I knew that I needed to put my phone away and just enjoy that precious time. Of course, when your baby is occupied, it's hard not to want to do something else, but life passes so quickly, the other things can wait.

Of course there are instances where I want to capture that beautiful sunset or to watch my favorite snaps, BUT please be sure to also put your phone away and enjoy. I'm still working on this, but getting better each day.

Splurge on Experiences:

God knows I love a new Chanel bag or a fancy pair of shoes, BUT, there is nothing I'd rather spend my money on than life experiences. Taking a weekend getaway, or better yet, a trip to Europe! Going to shows, restaurants, or anything that you truly enjoy. Like is about making memories! When I look back at the last decade, the things that stick out to me the most are these experiences. That's what life is about.

One of my good friends had to choose between taking a well-paying job, that also came along with a fancy title, or traveling the world for a year. He came to me in a real quandary, not sure what to do. My advice was "TAKE THE TRIP!" Another job will be there when you come back, but when you're 45, it's this trip that you'll remember. He took the trip and now he's a few months in, meeting amazing people and making some of the most incredible memories.

How about you guys? For those of you who are my age or order, I'd love to hear your words of wisdom. Please share!

The post Six things I've learned in my 30's appeared first on Brooklyn Blonde.

0 komentari:

Objavi komentar